Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A+ Great Job!

A few days ago, I took it upon myself to try to teach Big Sister how to begin to write her ABC's. She has been able to say the whole alphabet for awhile now and I was hoping that we would try to take it to the next level. So, during Little Sister's nap, I sat with Big Sister at the kitchen table with a pad of paper and some paint markers. I really did not know exactly how to begin teaching her but I forged ahead. I wrote a few 'A's on the paper until she could recognize it and tell me what I was drawing, then I tried to explain to her how to draw it. She started scrabbling on the paper while reciting "Up, Down, and Over" :) After about 30 minutes of working with her and finally realizing that she is still pretty young to learn how to write in one day, I gave up and joined her in the fun of drawing whatever she wanted! I didn't even think  about it much over the next couple days, other then continue singing the ABC's with her ever now and then (its now her favorite song!). One afternoon, while the girls were playing in their room, Big Sister came running up to me with her Doodle and said "Mama I draw 'A' - Up, Down, and Over!". I looked at the Doodle expecting to see a lot of scribbling, but to my surprise...


Amazing! I had to brag a little about how smart our little girl is! I guess this just goes to show me that I should not give up so easily! I am sure she is still a little young to really push this, but I will continue to slowly work with her and hope some of it will stick!

No comments:

Post a Comment