Friday, February 19, 2010

No More Finding Nemo




It is now time for all of you, dear readers, to meet Nemo




Nemo has been a constant companion in our house for the past few months. Big Sister has always loved pacifiers since the day she was born but she has never attached to one until the day she found Nemo hanging out in one of her toy baskets. Given to us by my sister, Nemo was played with briefly then lost among all the toys - Until that faithful night. You see, about a few months ago, I (trying to be a good mom) decided to be strong and get rid of all the pacifiers in the house. Thinking because Big Sister was now two, she did not need a pacifier anymore. That night, after a few hours of crying in her bed - Big Sister found Nemo. I conceded. It just wasn't time for her. I thought I would try again in another month or so...Well almost a year later we finally did it! Nemo was getting pretty beat up, had a few holes, and the cover broken off. I was tired of having to search for him every night while Big Sister cried "Find Nemo" (LOL we always thought that was funny!). I did it. Yesterday, I sneaked into the girls room and while they were busy playing, I snipped of the top of the pacifier and put it back in the drawer where it is kept during the day. At bedtime, I was a little apprehensive, because I had no clue how Big Sister would handle it. She pulled her beloved Nemo out of the drawer and tried to put it in her mouth. Then pulled it back out and said "Nemo Broken". We talked about how Nemo was broken and that we have to put him in the trash now. To my surprised, Big Sister walked to the kitchen, kissed Nemo, put him in the trash, said "bye-bye Nemo" and went straight back to bed. Amazing! There were no tears. I guess this time she was ready! She woke up around 4 am this morning and when I went to put her back to bed she told me that Nemo was in the trash because he is broken. Yay! We are still working on Potty Training but for the most part - she has been very good with that too. I can't believe what a big girl she is!

So...Farewell to our good friend Nemo!



Next battle for us - getting Little Sister to stop sucking her thumb. She has never liked the pacifier and started on the thumb when she is tired or cranky. I don't like it and am ready for it to stop...any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. You may not like the thumb, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. She will stop when she's ready. And, dentists and orthodontists say the thumb doesn't cause the problems that continued pacifier use does. So, you probably don't like my answer, but there it is.

    ReplyDelete